Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Response to Reader Comment



This is a starved and sick little colt that my six year old saved at the livestock auction.

I am sorry that I have been absent for a couple of weeks. We had a small family crisis, but now everything is back to normal.

With my last post we got a comment from Callie. It goes as follows:

“Curious, what you think....I had a little filly once that I received with the purchase of her Momma. She was 10 months old and un-weaned and never touched when I got her. I worked with her up until she was about 2 1/2 years old, with the help of my farrier, a cowboy in his own right. He taught me a little something for leading. It worked like a charm and at a certain point, she followed me everywhere. I would put pressure to lead her towards me, when she came on her own, I would put my hands up gently and low and say "whoa". When she extended her head towards me with ears forward, I would gently touch her nose once and praise her. He taught me this. She was leading well in no time. What do you think? Just curious.....”

Callie, I use a slight variation of this technique myself, and it does work.

Thank you for sharing this with us, I believe that a person can never have too many “Tools” in their horse training “Tool Box”, and this is a good one to keep and use when you are training your horse.

I welcome your comments, and please, if you think I am neglecting something I would love to hear from you.


NOTE: I was using this basic technique on the colt in the picture above. In the picture he looks very gaunt and sick, because he was. We got him from the livestock auction the week before. Nobody would buy him because he had an injured leg and was almost dead from starvation. Our precious little six year old raised her hand and said that she had a dollar in her pocket, and asked if she could buy him. The auctioneer told her that if she promised to take him home, and take care of him she could have him for free. She has lived up to her word; she is out there every day working with him. His leg has completely healed, and he is starting to put on weight. We thought that he was going to make a good pasture buddy (That is the name that she gave him), but he is looking like he just might make a good riding horse.

2 comments:

Callie said...

Wow, thanks for the response. Sorry, just gettin' back to check now.

Anonymous said...

i enjoy reading and learning from what you have to teach, when are we going to be able to read more?